6-15 Day Eighteen
What a day! We had our team meeting this morning, but the day really started to get interesting when we met with Pastor Jacob as guys and gals.
The very first question and topic of discussion was "predestination v.s free will." I feel like no matter where you stand in this, it is never a short topic of discussion. We quickly filled all our time, and while I don't know if I learned anything to form my own thoughts, I know more about the church and denominational differences. This was our only topic of conversation, fun fact! Not a short topic at all, but we were all alright with that.
Afterwards, we had a debrief as girls and spent time checking in on each other and praying for one another, which was super sweet. By the time we were done, the boys were done talking with Jacob as well, and we headed back to the house. In our downtime, I called my mom, which I actually hadn't done since being out here (sorry Momma, I love you!) Just seeing her face and talking for 40 minutes filled my cup and gave me so much energy to finish the day.
We had small plans for the evening, but they swiftly evolved into bigger. Our signs made a resurgence, and we went to a popular park and foot traffic area (a pedestrian bridge near an ice cream shop). Our two questions for tonight were: What happens when you die? And why do bad things happen? I was with the crew doing the second one.
My group talked to this guy, who was a part of this concept of "hyper grace," where it really just means he ONLY reads the KJV version of the Bible and believes that grace covers all, so that no matter what he does, he cannot be separated from God. An example he gave was if he were a satanist, he could still go to Heaven. It was so clearly just false teaching after false teaching, but it made me aware of a people group I had never heard of.
"Hyper Grace Guy" first made an appearance while we were talking to this PhD student who is Muslim as we were already in conversation with her. Our question began to garner more interest, so we split into smaller discussion groups, which is how I found myself between the two. "Hyper Grace Guy" was getting very touchy with the PhD student (putting his hand on her arm and shoulder), which made me uncomfortable, and I wanted to intervene. I don't know where this came from, but I kept telling this man that he was not speaking Scripture, that I don't think he has at all if these are the conclusions he is reaching. It was a crazy boldness, where his only response is that he used to think what I do, which was not helpful.
Again, our friend from the Portugal event (read a few posts ago) was around tonight! As always, he has such a curiosity for the Bible. We talked about how humans are separated from God because of sin, how baptism doesn't save you, and what being Saved really looks like. Continue to pray for this man to continue to grow in his desire to know the Lord. Our team has been praying for him to become a Christian in the time we get to spend with him in RI.
A lesson I really learned tonight was the power of testimony. I was able to share bits and pieces of myself with the people we interacted with. When talking about why bad things happen, I was able to relate with some aspects and share the Gospel and how looking to the cross has completely transformed me and my heart, how I am able to forgive as Christ has forgiven me.
A second lesson was in learning the Gospel in more than my own language. I found myself talking to someone standing by an ongoing conversation, and the mom was translating for the grandma from Spanish. If there's any language I, someone who has lived in PR, should learn to share the Gospel in, it would be Spanish. I will be figuring out the best way to do that. Where to direct people, if this is where I should be spending my time... etc.
Final thought for real now, I am going to try to meet with the PhD student. I think it would be really sweet to pour into her, answer questions, and just love her well. She has expressed so much support for what our team is doing, which is an answered prayer in itself to have a soft heart towards missionaries, and I do not want to turn away from the opportunity to share the Gospel with her.
Comments
Post a Comment