6-2 Day Five

Today was the first day we were really on our own. It was exciting, we started the morning as a team and had a time for prayer and encouragement, then we went through some schedule logistics. But after that, we moved out into the city in groups of 2 or 3 to just observe and pray through every block. At the end of my group's time, we had walked 4.9 miles, kinda wild! 

We had one "+1 Conversation" with a woman who worked in a Christian Science Reading Room. We talked for 45 minutes to an hour about what Christian Science is. It's neither Christian or Science! It was a really interesting conversation to see how an entire group of people look to the Bible and just blatantly manipulate it to fit their narrative. Highlights from our conversation: the phrase "father mother," being told that Heaven and Hell are mindsets/ states of being, sin isn't real, and their entire view on healing and the metaphysical. I think it was a good exercise in being bold, talking about the Gospel, but I wish I could've gotten to her in a better way. We read Scripture to her that she knew, but she wasn't grasping the message itself. I would like to go back to her this summer and talk more, so please be praying that this will be a fruitful endeavor if it is the Lord's will for us.

Tonight, Sacred City had the first night of "Sacred City Summer," where we share a meal, then have one of the men in the church share a 20ish-minute message, and we discuss. The message this evening was about abiding in Christ and prayer. It was a really good message that has challenged me to think about the things I am asking from God. Am I praying for the big scary things? Do I believe the Lord will answer them? 

Christ is the vine, and we are the branches. Our role is to cling tightly to the vine, to abide and dwell in Him. We alone cannot produce fruit. What does my prayer life look like? What ways can I use my summer to be more intentional in prayer? 

Fortunately, this summer prayer is carved into my daily rhythm, but back in Des Moines, I really struggled with this discipline. I think it would be sweet (and probably wise) to make better use of my time and to pray without ceasing, constantly.

John 15:7 "If you remain in Me, and My words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you." 

Comments

Popular Posts