6-24 Day Twenty Seven

Wednesday is becoming my favorite day of the week because it's when I get to meet with my mentor. This morning's meeting was over a home-cooked breakfast in her beautiful home. Our conversation was really hard, and exactly what I needed. Before we were even at her house, she told me she's noticed I was acting differently and was just waiting for me to tell her about what's been bothering me. I've never had someone be able to read me so well in such a short time. She was very bold and left me with a lot to think about with some legit action items for the week. And has been teaching me a lot about reliance on the Holy Spirit through prayer and time in Scripture.

Today, our team is spending time doing computer work, and I've used some of this time to journal and be in the Word some more, which is always beneficial. I am learning a tough lesson today about dying to oneself. I am not learning it well and have been calling myself "Gensend's biggest victim" for the last 10 minutes. I am learning teamwork, I am learning to exercise (walk back home for a meeting), and how to not idolize comfort (I spilled water all over my bed). I am learning humility via the temporary nature of my hard work (refer to the teamwork piece again). It's okay, these are but momentary light afflictions.

An interaction that stood out from today was with Tracy, whom three of us stumbled upon while doing surveys. Tracy shared the story of their experiences with addiction and why they feel so far from God. We showed Tracy love through giving our time and companionship, but also through buying them soda and snacks for the day. In our short time, we shared about the redemptive nature of Christ, how you do not have to "clean yourself up" to then present yourself to God, He loves you as you are. BUT then, through knowing and loving Him, you become more and more like Him. I got Tracy's number, and we invited them to church on Sunday. They seemed really interested and have been responsive to my texts, so I am hopeful we will meet again.

Bible study tonight was good, smaller than usual, and we continued through 1 John 4. Something that I found really impactful was the idea that spiritual maturity can be seen through our ability to love others and the Lord. If I love conditionally, I am not behaving in a manner that reflects Christ. If I love without expecting to receive anything in return, giving freely to everyone, I am portraying Christ-like love. We are not inherently given this ability to love, but it is something that is perfected in us over time with the Holy Spirit; progressive sanctification (shout out Campus Fellowship Gospel Class!)

1 John 4:1 'Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another."

Comments

Popular Posts