7-2 Day Thirty Five
The heat was brutal last night; most of us didn't go to sleep until well past midnight because we were in the basement, where it was coolest until about 12:30am, debating pulling an all-nighter. I ended up sleeping on two big comfy chairs pushed together, and it was not comfortable, but at least I wasn't dripping in sweat. I went to bed at 1:30 and woke up at 6:30, brutal start to the day.
I went down a rabbit hole about pagan traditions because of Job 1. The story of Job is that he was a wealthy, wealthy man who feared the Lord. Satan comes to test him by killing all his children and livestock. In response, Job falls to his knees in worship. My rabbit hole was on mourning practices. The one mention of tattoos in the Bible is a verse regarding how tattoos and cutting one's flesh were traditions warned against in response to someone's death (Leviticus 19:28). I enjoyed this rabbit hole, and also really appreciate the manner in which Job responds to having all his earthly possessions literally and loves killed and taken away within the span of hours.
Currently, the biggest adversity in my life is not being in a house with air conditioning. Talk about momentary light afflictions! It has been a very good, albeit sweaty, lesson in humility and to stop grumbling.
Our day was spent doing computer work until we got picked up to go stay with our mobilizer for the next few days. The project is moving along well, and today I did LOTS of editing, it was amazing, and I had the chance to continue reading my book. This may have been a dream day for me (jumping between different coffee shops, editing writing, and reading).
We got picked up at 9:30pm to go to our mobilizer's home. The girls are sleeping in the basement, on air mattresses, except for two who get the couch and a guest bed. I haven't been on an air mattress since early high school, and my attitude has been bad. It's been really reinforced in me this summer about dying to oneself. Now it is physical comfort for the sake of others; previously, it had been a lot of mental or emotional comfort, and now we are leveling up. In moments like these, it is good to reflect on what I read in the Word this morning. Job had suffered a massive loss, and still chose to worship the Lord, so can I while on an air mattress.
Job 1:20, 22 "Then Job got up, tore his robe, and shaved his head; then he fell to the ground and worshiped...Despite all this, Job did not sin, nor did he blame God."
Comments
Post a Comment